Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Gaining Experience

Internship update: Several weeks have gone by now since I began my internship. To date I have cataloged 20 records that were accepted by my site supervisor. I am currently working on a batch of 13 that are due by the end of the week. I feel much more confident cataloging this set of records since I feel like I have worked out a lot of the problems and issues that I had with the first batch of records.

General thoughts: I chose to do an internship instead of taking another elective because I did not have any library experience. Each semester I heard from other students about the wonderful library jobs they already had and I felt discouraged that I wouldn't be able to find a job once I graduated. As soon as I started the program I began filling out applications for various positions in libraries, mostly page or clerk positions since I did not have my degree, nor did I have any library experience. I rarely got an email back even saying the position had been filled, let alone asking for an interview. Job searching can be a tedious and discouraging process. Several times I stopped applying for jobs altogether. I was afraid I wouldn't even be able to get an internship because of my lack of experience. However, after getting an internship, I updated my resume to reflect my new position and within a month of starting the internship I was offered a job running a small, corporate library. I feel like my internship not only gave me the confidence to apply for jobs again, but also gave me that much needed experience that employers look for. I highly recommend internships for anyone struggling to gain library experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment