Thursday, October 24, 2013

Cataloging in French

After the lull I recently had in my internship, things are definitely not slow now. I received my new set of titles to catalog and nine out of twelve are in French! At first, I thought maybe there was some mistake so I immediately contacted my supervisor. Recently Mitinet took on a Canadian client who needs many French titles cataloged. I don't speak a word of French, so it's a little intimidating trying to catalog the French titles. Luckily, I am in the same boat as the other interns and contracted employers so we have been emailing back and forth and sharing resources we find. For example, Canada has their own equivalent to the Library of Congress, called AMICUS. It has taken me a little while to navigate the website, but I have been able to locate several of the French titles I am working with. Normally we have a week to finish our titles, but my site supervisor is very understanding that this is a difficult week for everyone and has allowed us extra time. Slowly but surely I am cataloging my French titles, but I am relying heavily on Google translator. While this is definitely the most challenging part of the internship thus far, at least I am learning how to catalog in a foreign language and maybe even learn a word or two of French.

No comments:

Post a Comment